Did you decide to change your car? Do you want to buy a used car? Here are 5 tips to avoid unpleasant surprises.
- Prices of used cars?
Above all, it is important to consult the desired model rating. You will have a fair idea of the market prices. The Lorensita will give you the average prices of transactions between individuals for the most coveted vehicles on the second-hand market.
- Professional or individual seller?
Each sales channel has advantages and disadvantages. A professional will bring you more serenity with a vehicle guaranteed for a minimum of one year. The particular seller will offer a price often cheaper without guarantee.
- Check points and road test
When you go to see the vehicle, be accompanied preferably by a person who knows the mechanics. Use discipline, especially if you buy it from an individual.
- Do you notice the presence of traces of rust, for example on the muffler?
- Do you see different shades of body color? They may testify to a previous accident.
- Do all windows and doors work?
- How is the engine? Does it start easily cold?
- Always carry out a test drive for several kilometers.
- The necessary documents
Check that the seller has all the necessary documents. He must give you:
- the original purchase invoice if it is a particular seller; a professional seller must prepare a new invoice.
- the certificate of conformity;
- the pink form ‘application for registration of a vehicle’;
- an opportunity report ;
- the Car-Pass: a document that summarizes the history of kilometers traveled. It cannot be dated more than two months. If you do not receive a Car-Pass, the sale is not valid and you can ask for a refund.
Attention: for all these documents, do not accept photocopies!
Check the following:
- The identity card of the seller: is he the owner of the vehicle?
- Concordance between papers: do they refer to the chassis number on the vehicle?
- The closing date of the financing. You do not risk seeing your new car seized by the bank of the former owner, the latter having to liquidate his loan before being able to resell his vehicle.
If in doubt, contact the importer.
- Finalize the sale
If everything is in order, you can finalize the sale. With an individual, establish a contract in two copies. If the seller is a professional, he is obliged to issue you an invoice. Preferably, do not pay in cash: you will have a proof of payment.
Finally, the car is yours! To be able to hit the road, you must register your new acquisition with the DIV, the Vehicle Registration Branch. To do this, you must go with your pink form at your insurer. He can register your vehicle directly by internet. You then receive your registration certificate and license plate at your home.