Have you decided to change cars? Want to buy a used car? Here are 5 tips to avoid unpleasant surprises.
Prices for used cars?
Above all, it is important to consult the rating of the desired model. You will get a fair idea of the market prices. Many websites will give you the average prices of transactions between individuals for the most coveted vehicles on the marke
Professional or private seller?
Each sales channel has advantages and disadvantages. A professional will bring you more serenity with a guaranteed vehicle for at least one year. The private seller will offer a price often more advantageous without guarantee.
If you opt for a professional salesperson, you should preferably consult the networks of second-hand manufacturers authorized specialists
Points to check and test drive
When you are going to see the vehicle, you should preferably be accompanied by someone who knows the mechanics. Be rigorous, especially if you buy it from an individual.
- Do you notice the presence of traces of rust, for example on the exhaust pipe?
- Do you see different shades of body color?They can testify to a previous accident.
- Do all windows and doors work?
- How is the engine?Is it easy to start cold?
- Always test drive over several kilometers
The necessary documents
Check that the vendor has all the necessary documents. He must give you:
- The original purchase invoice in the case of a particular seller;A professional salesperson must prepare you a new invoice;
- The certificate of conformity;
- The pink form ‘application for registration of a vehicle’;
- An occasional report ;
- The Car-Pass : a document that contains the history of the kilometers traveled. It can not be dated more than two months. If you do not receive a Car-Pass, the sale is not valid and you can ask for a refund.
The Belgian public service portal is useful to know all the documents you are entitled to expect as well as the formalities related to this new purchase such as registration.
Please note: for all these documents, do not accept photocopies!
Check the following:
- The seller’s identity card: is it the owner of the vehicle?
- The agreement between the papers: do they refer to the chassis number on the vehicle?
- The closing date of the financing.You do not risk seeing your new car seized by the bank of the former owner, the latter having to liquidate his loan before he can resell his vehicle.
If in doubt, contact the importer
Finalize the sale
If everything is in order, you can finalize the sale. With a private individual, draw up a contract in duplicate. If the seller is a professional, he is required to issue you an invoice. Preferably, do not pay in cash: you will have proof of payment.
Finally, the car is yours! To be able to take the road, you must register your new acquisition with the DIV, the Directorate Vehicle Registration. To do this, you must go with your pink form to your insurer. It can register your vehicle directly via the internet. You will then receive your registration certificate and license plate at your home.