Creating a private ambulance service is a matter of craftsmanship which requires a declaration to the Chamber of Crafts compliance with several legal obligations, including obtaining an approval.
In a very competitive market, the creation of an ambulance company must be well prepared. The independent paramedic must be good manager, good communicator and good driver. He must take care of his vehicle and must make himself available even at night and on weekends.
Here is all the information to start your Heathrow Air Ambulance Service or set up an independent artisanal ambulance.
Become a paramedic (self-employed or not): the ideal profile
The independent paramedic carries out the following missions:
- Transport patients or injured people in the best conditions of comfort. He intervenes on medical prescription or in case of emergency call.
- In some cases, come to the rescue of the patient by providing first aid.
- Maintain his vehicle and sterilize the medical or para-medical equipment.
- Manage administrative documents: doctor’s prescription, transport reimbursement form, etc.
A good paramedic must know how to communicate with his patients to reassure them on the road, he must show concentration and responsiveness to manage crises and patients suffering. Finally he must have knowledge in management and management to manage and develop his business.
To settle down independent ambulance: qualification and regulation.
Creating a sanitary ambulance company requires compliance with the regulations on health activities, which is demanding.
The ambulance attendant must obtain:
- an approval with the Regional Health Agency:
- approval for urgent medical aid,
- or approval for urgent medical aid and medical prescription,
- the approval is asked for a category of transport: VSL, ASSU.
- the file to be compiled includes information on the entrepreneur himself, the company if applicable (statutes …), the crews (driving license and sufficient qualifications described below), the vehicles, and the material installations,
- A marketing authorization for each vehicle. The director general of the Regional Health Agency decides on the number of new authorizations to put in service of ambulances each year; this number is made public. The authorization is attached to the vehicle; it is freely transferable.
To be authorized to carry out his activity, the independent ambulance attendant must respect the following main rules:
- Have license B,
- Have medical equipment that complies with health and safety rules,
- Respect the patient’s choice regarding the ambulance driver,
- Accept health checks,
- Undertake never to interrupt his journey unjustifiably,
- Subscribe to an insurance against all risks, and an insurance professional liability,
- Perform an installation preparation internship atthe Chamber of Trades and Crafts,
- Participate in alternating missions of ambulance guards,
- Recruit only qualified personnel (obligation to keep a list up to date).
Both types of sanitary transport.
There are two types of medical transports:
- seated transport: conventional taxi or light sanitary vehicle (VSL) capable of carrying up to 3 patients,
- Emergency ambulance and emergency care, which alone can intervene for emergency transport.
Either type of transport is prescribed by the doctor for each patient.
The necessary qualification for emergency ambulances.
One of the two crew members of the ambulance must have a state ambulance certificate. The crew must also hold a valid B permit for at least 3 years, and must have a certificate of physical fitness issued by the prefecture.
The qualification needed for VSL.
Same qualification as for the ASSU but the state diploma of ambulance can be replaced by the patent of first aid or first aid, by the card of auxiliary medical or medical, or by being of doctor, midwife, caregiver or childcare assistant.
Obligations related to the vehicle.
- beacons and specific horns,
- display of a regular blue cross with 6 branches,
- display of the name of the company on the vehicle, or the name of the holder of the approval,
- Finally the technical control of the vehicle must take place every year.
Create an ambulance company: the steps
- Get trained,
- Validate your project with a market study
- Write a financial forecast
- Search for financing (if needed) and purchase the equipment and vehicle needed for your activity,
- Perform the installation internship at the Chamber of Trades,
- Get the approval,
- Choose your legal form and register with the Chamber of Trades,
- Take a professional insurance (mandatory),
- Start the communication and find your customers.