Everything was going so well until then … And one fine morning, your car refuses to start! The start-up of a car is like a chain of which some links can be capricious: when it stops somewhere, the whole system derails.
However, some failures are easy to identify, and you can leave (almost) as if nothing had happened. Here are 5 points to check before calling the tow truck.
Lights on all night, forgetting the key on the contact, etc., these patterns can prevent the vehicle from working. Indeed, the battery is discharged and therefore unable to supply the energy needed to start the car. Sometimes it is the used battery that should be replaced.
But how to make sure that the battery is causing the failure? It is enough to check these 2 elements:
- If headlamp light is low;
- If some indicator lights on the instrument panel light up (for example, test the car radio).
Two scenarios appear when you operate the ignition:
- If the engine runs normally, the battery is out of order;
- In jerks, the battery is low, it needs a recharge.
The oxidized battery lugs?
Oxidation, due to moisture and temperature changes, loves to sit on the battery lugs, and prevent the current from passing. If nothing, or almost, is heard when turning the ignition key, and your battery is charged (have you checked?), The problem will be at the level of the two dirty lugs.
Normally, they come in a metallic gray color. If this is not the case, here is the way to remedy it:
- Scrape them with an iron brush or sandpaper;
- Place a thick nut of fat in it.
The starter tired?
Your starter – a small electric motor that is used to start the engine – may be showing signs of fatigue at the first touch. However, to avoid costly troubleshooting, it is possible to boost it and prolong its life. Before you do anything, check the operating instructions of your vehicle to locate the starter.
Two techniques are available to you:
- Give some shots on the front (pointed part) of the starter. This will have the effect of peeling the coals and therefore allowing the passage of the current.
- Push down the vehicle and play the clutch pedal in seconds. The engine gets carried away and eventually starts.
Anti-start properly disabled?
An electronic device intended to prevent theft of the vehicle, the anti-starting device comes in several forms. In any case, the starter must operate normally when you turn the key. However, the engine may refuse to launch. Here are the different types of anti-startup and common problems:
- With a 4-digit code : do not go wrong if not after three unsuccessful attempts, the vehicle stops for half an hour.
- With a transponder in the remote control : check the battery condition and replace it if necessary.
- With a pulse provided by the remote control (Renault): press the button to open the doors of the remote control and start (it happens that the car does not identify the remote control the first time).
It’s cold, and you’ve tried to start your gas car by pumping several times on the accelerator pedal. The engine does not turn but a strong smell of gasoline is felt. Two solutions are available:
- Wait approximately 20 minutes for the natural evaporation of surplus gasoline in the engine.
- If you have a candle key on hand, disassemble the candles and bring the flame of a lighter to the electrode to burn this gasoline.